Hearty Seafood Soup
||1 hour, 30 minutes|
Fish, Shellfish, Wheat
This sounds more complex than it is - it's actually a straightforward one-pot meal and the timings are loose. The most important thing is not to overcook the fish at the end.
Here, I'm adding the prawns along with the mussels, but if they're not particularly large I would put them in a minute or two later.
Don't forget the crusty bread!
- 1kg live mussels (cleaned & dead mussels removed)
- 12-15 large raw prawns (peeled & deveined)
- 150g squid (prepared (ask your fishmonger))
- 300g cod or other white fish (fillet, cut into chunks)
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon (finely sliced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 500ml good quality fish stock
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 3 sticks celery (finely chopped)
- 2 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large shallot (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 large handful fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- lots of crusty bread!
||Prepare all the seafood in advance and keep refrigerated until needed. |
||Gently fry the celery, onions, shallot and bacon in plenty of olive oil in a large heavy pot. Fry for 6 or so minutes until the vegetables have softened and the bacon is cooked. |
||Add the purée and stir in, stirring regularly for about 2 minutes. |
||Turn up the heat and add the wine. Once the wine is bubbling, reduce heat slightly and, letting it bubble moderately reduce by half (about 20 minutes). |
||Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, garlic and tabasco. Bring to a simmer and simmer for another 20 minutes or so. |
||Add the white fish (it will break apart, but that's fine as far as I'm concerned). |
||After 5 minutes, turn heat up high until bubbling quite hard. Add mussels and prawns, stir in and cover. Cook covered on a high heat for 4 minutes, then add the squid, stir, re-cover and cook for a further 2 minutes. |
||Just before serving, stir in the fresh parsley. Dish up and enjoy with the crusty bread! |